Amazon is looking for a dynamic and motivated software development test engineer to work on the Subsidiary Services team in Vancouver. The Subsidiary Services team develops services for Amazon subsidiaries like ShopBop.com so a passion for fashion is also a plus. We are looking for Software Development Engineers in test who are ready to dive into new challenges and support the fast-paced growth of our company.
The position requires a strong engineer with experience in testing of distributed/scalable systems and high-volume transaction applications and services and with hands-on coding experience in Java and or C++. Qualified candidates will need to programmatically test the product, measure test coverage, develop the best automation, drive testability and diagnostic ability into the product, while promoting best practices in quality areas. The test software you will build should expose API defects in production level code as well as defects at the component and feature integration prospective. You should command the skill to communicate clearly and effectively. Candidates will need to define test plans, test specifications, test suites, test cases as well as design tools for unit, functional and performance testing in a programmatic manner.
Participate in the full development life cycle, working within broadly defined parameters, including test plan execution and software quality needs. Writing and executing test plans, designing and developing test tools, debugging and reporting code bugs and pushing quality upstream. Expose API defects in production level code as well as defects at the component and feature integration level; provide test scripts that are comprehensive, accurate and repeatable and will test both sunny-day and rainy-day scenarios; Own the maintenance and extension of an entire software development test suites and frameworks and serve as a technical lead within our operations and test team on complex projects. Work closely with the technical leaders to develop the best technical design and approach for testing our functionality at scale. Builds software solutions where the problem is not well defined. Capable of understanding the interaction between the components in a distributed system in order to ensure they are functioning properly. Create and execute appropriate quality plans, test strategies and processes for development activities in concert with business and project management efforts; management and execution of project plans and meeting delivery commitments.
• Education: Bachelors Degree (or higher) in Computer Science or related field.
• Minimum of 4-7 years of software testing (via building automated test software)
• Experience in one or more of Java,C++,C#
• Experience with SQL, data structures, complex algorithms, Unix/ Linux and Test-Driven Development
• Experience in development and testing of distributed/scalable systems and high-volume transaction applications and services
• Experience in QA Methodologies; ability to understand technical specifications and analyze log files, experience in designing and building test tools and systems
• Knowledge of modern best practices for professional software development including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
• Demonstrated ability to identify real-world user problems and build technology solutions to solve them
• Experience in communicating with users, other technical teams, and management to collect requirements, describe software product features, and technical designs
• Experience working with service oriented architectures, Spring, ehcache, or similar technologies
• Experience working with RDBMS like Oracle
• Exhibits strong leadership qualities including excellent judgment, relentlessly high standards, can dive deep and remain in touch with business details, drives innovation in their teams, invokes passion in others, can think big, and delivers results
• Excellent object oriented analysis and design skills (OOA/OOD)
• Solid grounding in computer science fundamentals – Algorithms and Data Structures
• Proficient in building web applications
• Be able to thrive in an ambiguous environment - where change is the only constant.
• Be a team player with high energy.
• Strong verbal and communication skills.
• Strong analytical skills and an out of the box thinker.
• Results oriented and with a strong customer focus.
• Understanding of application architecture and technology infrastructure
• Self-motivated, accountability and sense of ownership. Should take pride in what you code.
About the companyCompany profile
Amazon strives to be Earth's most customer-centric company where people can find and discover virtually anything they want to buy online. By giving customers more of what they want - low prices, vast selection, and convenience - Amazon continues to grow and evolve as a world-class e-commerce platform.Founded by Jeff Bezos, the Amazon.com website started in 1995 as a place to buy books because of the unique customer experience the Web could offer book lovers. Bezos believed that only the Internet could offer customers the convenience of browsing a selection of millions of book titles in a single sitting. During the first 30 days of business, Amazon fulfilled orders for customers in 50 states and 45 countries - all shipped from his Seattle-area garage.Amazon's evolution from Web site to e-commerce partner to development platform is driven by the spirit of innovation that is part of the company's DNA. The world's brightest technology minds come to Amazon.com to research and develop technology that improves the lives of shoppers and sellers around the world.e-Commerce,